Monday, May 7, 2012

Small Town Gentleness

My suitcase, which has a bracket on the bottom so it will stand up, somehow became wobbly.  It was difficult for me to actually see what the problem was, so I trotted (actually drove) to our locally owned hardware store.  I walked in and the clerk asked me if she could help me find something.  I held up the bottom of the suitcase and shook the bottom showing the bracket moving back and forth and said "help!."  She smiled and directed me to isle 12 where the nuts, screws and bolts are located, and over the address system I heard her ask for customer assistance on isle 12.

I was curious how this bracket was going to be made stable though felt I would be in good hands.  The clerk was already helping another customer when I arrived and so I waited as he finished what he was doing.  When he approached me I showed him my situation with the bracket.  He immediately went to one of the neatly stacked drawers and pulled out two little pieces and then turned to the other side of the isle and opening another drawer removed two rather large washers.  He asked me to follow him to the repair counter, which I did.  Can't loose the suitcase now.

With a hacksaw he removed both of the metal pieces that were intended to secure the bracket to the suitcase.  Then he placed a post type item with a flat head through the hole from the outside, placed a washer on the inside of the suitcase around the post and using a small screw inserted it into the post and tightened it  He did the same on the other end of the bracket.  Within five minutes I again had a sturdy, stand on its own, suitcase.

We chatted a few minutes about family returning from Army, Marine, etc., duty and how difficult it is for them to adjust upon returning home.  I could see he was saddened by his brothers experience and we ended our encounter with a four handed shake and words of encouragement.  When I asked him how much my charge was, he said "tell the clerk 2 times .90, plus 2 times .10."  That was it.  A whopping $2.36 (including tax) for this gentle soul assisting me with my broken suitcase.  I noticed his name tag and his name is Timothy.  The same name I chose for my son.  When deciding on a name Timothy was at the top because it means "gentle strength."

So I leave the local hardware store at peace with the world because this little town and it's  people are all about kindness, caring and gentleness.

Enjoy a gentle day!

No comments:

Post a Comment