Wednesday, February 4, 2015

MOON SET

Sad news to announce:  

The editor of the SLO Coast Journal has health issues that currently prevent her from continuing her efforts of producing the monthly publication.  

Therefore, the following is the article that would have been in the February issue.


MOON SET



I think I get just as excited about the moon setting in the early morning hours as I do sunsets in the evenings.  When the moon is full it seems to gently ease back towards earth while the sun is beginning to reach for the crest of the ridge and shine.  

In those early morning hours, the air is cool and the ever so subtle hues of pinks and blues and grays appear to layer themselves as the moon glides through the changing shades.  It is very calming and serene to watch, even though I know that at my back is the rising sun ready to illuminate the day and dull the brilliance of the setting moon.

As the moon goes through its waning process it rises later and hence sets later, while the sun is already up and doing its thing.  There are many times the moon is visible in the sky in the late afternoon as it is waxing.  The only issue I have is that I can see the stars very clearly on nights when the moon is almost invisible.  When the moon is full with all its luminescence, the stars are mostly invisible.  




So, it gives me great pleasure to enjoy each depending on the state of the moon.  Our next full moon is February 3rd, and according to the Farmers Almanac, is called the Full Snow Moon and occurs at 6:09 pm Eastern Time.  I am sure there are places all over the world that will attest to the snow description, although here on the Central Coast it is quite unlikely.  I, for one, would love to experience it here on the coast.  It would be pure magic.

I remember many times, as a child and as an adult, when my Mom would drag me outside to take a peak at the moon when it was full.  She was always excited to do this, even if it was freezing cold or raining.  This was something she always enjoyed and I guess this was instilled in me at a very young age.  I am grateful she did since now I derive great pleasure from doing the same.

I always think of her each time I am standing there looking into the night sky to catch a glimpse of this amazing orb in the heavens.  I still recall her giggle, even in her much later years of life, as we donned appropriate gear and scurried outside to see the spectacle.  Even if we only saw it for a few seconds, it was enough to satisfy her need of the moment.  How wonderful such a simple event could bring such joy and excitement.

I trust I will always treasure this event of life as I go through the coming years.  And I think too, that she is watching as well and we are enjoying the delight together.  It has been several years since her passing and I imagine she has a entirely different perspective of what we have witnessed in our solar system.  I am certain that someday she will tell me all about it!!!








6 comments:

  1. I really loved this and reading about your experiences with your mom and the moon, that was so sweet! Snow on the coast would be beautiful: ) no snow here in this part of Washington right now though we did get a little the other day! We love and miss you lots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Rosalie! What a nice tribute to your mother. And the photos are wonderful as well. So glad you are in such a peaceful physical and spiritual place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gaytrell! Looking forward to seeing you soon. I'll let you know when.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete