Friday, June 22, 2012

Frozen Grapes

Summer offers so many wonderful fruits and vegetables that sometimes it is difficult to choose.  On more than one occasion I have over purchased and would run out of time before the produce would start to be too ripe. (Which is a polite way of saying, start to rot.)  Years ago a dear grandfather figure introduced me to frozen grapes.  So now, when I buy grapes, I keep a couple of days worth in the fridge and then I remove the stems, wash, dry and freeze the remaining grapes for a later time.  It is wonderful to eat them right out of the freezer, while they are still frozen.  When it is hot outside and I want something cold to eat I have the perfect solution.  There is a lot to be said for the shared experiences of others.  Thanks to all of you who share.


So, I recently put the heaters away for the summer and this morning I awoke to 46 degrees.  I am very grateful for my down filled blanket that I ALWAYS keep on my bed, just in case.  It always seems to work out this way.  It is the same when putting away winter clothes and then there is summer for a few weeks and then a cold spell arrives just when you are feeling  warm. There is a little voice inside that tells me this is going to happen.  Hopefully one of these days I will listen and respond appropriately.  For now the little space heater is working hard to take the chill off of the living room.   Since I just washed and hung the sheets out to dry, all I can do now is pray the rain stays in the mountains.  Otherwise, the dreaded dryer.


The elephant went to its new home yesterday.  It was one of those things that I bought at Pier 1 and absolutely did not need.  He became a good friend who stayed in the living room and greeted people as they entered.  He stands about two feet tall and probably has a wire frame.  He is covered in some kind of light brown intricately woven plant fiber.  His big ears stick out and his tail and trunk go upward.  Even though he is void of facial markings I could feel his happiness of just being. I always felt happy just looking at him. There is definitely a void in the space he used to occupy.   I am certain he will adjust well to his new surroundings.  I just couldn't bring myself to take his picture and I am glad I never gave him a name.    His image is perfectly etched in my brain.


I have started the process of disbursing items that have a new home to go to.  The elephant, plants, pots and a few items to my son and daughter-in-law are in their new places.  My son and daughter-in-law will be on the receiving end of more items, as living where I am winds down and I leave on my adventure.  There are some things which will be sold at a yard sale when it is time.  Some things to be donated.  This liquidating experience is strange and interesting all at the same time. I shall contemplate on this and share my thoughts.  Coming soon.


I need to go outside and feel how the sheets are doing.  It is getting cloudy and windy and not really warming up much.  It is just after 1 pm and it is only 64 degrees.  Not the best temperature to dry sheets outside.  Maybe the wind itself will do the job.  Here's hoping...


Enjoy sharing your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment