Thursday, May 9, 2013

- HEARST CASTLE FLOWERS -

Stepping into the magical world of Hearst Castle!


Having experienced the Central Coast of California since the early 1970's, I have been to Hearst Castle many, many times.  While I lived here, I took most of my visitors to the Castle sometime during their stay.  I have seen it in all different seasons and all types of weather.  The night tour during the winter is especially magical.


Incredible landscaping at every turn.
Recently when Gaytrell came to visit, we did all kinds of things which included a trip to Hearst Castle.  It had been about twelve years since my last visit and I had heard  tour changes were made.  I was curious to see what was actually occurring.


Flowers & lights accent each other.
The tours used to be eighty minutes long and included the outside and inside pools, plus a short movie near the end.   If I remember correctly there used to be four tours total, with the gardens being a separate tour.  I recently came across a tour ticket stub from 2000 which was $10.

I have heard the changes occurred about two plus years ago.  The tours are now forty minutes long.  The outside and inside pools are now no longer included in any of the tours.  Now the pools and gardens and grounds may be enjoyed for as long as you wish after you have finished your original tour.  The buses that return people to the visitor center depart every fifteen minutes from the castle.  The ticket cost per tour is $25, although if you purchase an additional tour once you are at the castle, each additional ticket costs $22.  


Topiary, flowers, color, scents.
The day Gaytrell and I went was wonderful.  The flowers that were in bloom were abundant and beautiful.  It was fantastic to depart the bus and be greeted by such a variety of bright and soft colors and smells.  We started with the Grand Rooms Tour and then added the Bedrooms Tour, we stayed and roamed the gardens for hours afterwards and it was an amazing way to spend a day.



Palm treed with climbing roses.
I think each person has to decide for themselves the value of this state historical monument.  The original tours always kept visitors controlled in the gardens and around the grounds.  No one was allowed to venture away from their tour group.  Now, it is so nice to be able to wander about the gardens and meander along narrow paths and to be able to capture a picture of a stunning flower or the alluring hillsides.   



Hillside vista and fog.
There were lots of security personnel and staff stationed around to answer questions and insure visitors remain within the confines of the hilltop.  All those we encountered were very nice and friendly and helpful.  Especially when it came to finding the real restrooms.  It was great to sit in the lounge chairs at the outside pool and imagine what this must have been like in the day.


A statue among roses.
Other than the Castle, Gaytrell and I had lots of fun doing other things.  Introducing her to this area was fun and also allowed me to see a few things in a different light.  She ended up staying an extra day to further explore the area.  I hope to catch up with her in the Auburn area while I am here.


A path to follow and dream along.

Thank you Gaytrell for providing these wonderful pictures, since I forgot my picture taking device.  



"You must live in the present,
launch yourself on every wave,
find your eternity in each moment."
 - Henry David Thoreau

Enjoy your flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment