Tuesday, May 21, 2013

- SONGBIRDS -

Rosea around a mail box.
To me some of the most lovely things to be awakened by are songbirds.  While in Morro Bay it was usually to finches happily singing the beginning of a new day.  While at my son and daughter-in-laws more finches, plus mockingbirds and several other birds I was unable to identify.  And here at my friends there are robins, finches and many other birds.

Great Blue Heron in the harbor
The sounds of different birds singing in the morning are so much better than any type of alarm clock I have ever encountered.  It is rather curious that the robins seem to sing during the very early morning.  Sometimes it was 2 a.m.  There were lots of robins in my yard when I lived in Sacramento and even though they would sometimes wake me early, I love their song.



Morro Rock from Black Hill
While I lived in Auburn, there were again the robins, finches, bluebirds, doves, the occasional oriole and many other birds.  There were resident hawks and woodpeckers and they could be heard throughout the day.  The bird sounds always made me feel close to nature.

I think the only alarm clock that I was relatively okay waking to was a chime.  There were actually little wind chimes that had a chime piece behind them and the bar would slowly swing gently against the chimes.  It was a rather pleasant sound for something to intentionally wake one up from sleeping.

Purple blue spike flower
I also had a sound machine alarm clock that has a fairly sweet melody to awaken one.  Although I found that the same melody began to bother me if I heard it too many mornings in a row.  I much prefer the sounds of nature.  And now I only use my phone alarm (when I absolutely have to be awakened by a particular time) and hide it under a pillow so it is as quiet as possible.  Give me nature anytime.

I have been in the Sacramento area since the third of May and have gone back and forth from my friends home and my son and daughter-in-laws home.  I have had great fun sanding, washing and painting walls, shopping for accents, planting plants, making desserts (and eating them) and sharing time.  I will be taking some time to be in Auburn and then I will do some house sitting for my friend while she visits family in Oregon. 

Morro Rock hidden by fog.
 After that I will be on the road, so to speak.  Since the middle of the country is dealing with such difficult weather I think I will head north, north east to begin.  There is a friend in Oregon I would like to see and friends of my friend in an RV park in Montana that will be fun to visit.  I have spent some time in each of these states so it will just be to see these specific people.

We shall see if this actually occurs as change seems to be the name of this Adventure.  It is actually fun to be able to be so flexible with my life.  It is nice to be able to help out family and friends in order to perhaps make their lives a bit easier.  It feels good.

Jade plant variety
My last week in Morro Bay was full.  The day before I left I had lunch with Joyce and Carol on the wharf.  It was great food and it was shirt sleeve weather sitting outside.  I must admit that I ended up with a bit of a sunburn on my face.  I forgot to bring my hat and I was facing into the sun.  It all felt so great I failed to realize what was happening.  So, back to reverse raccoon eyes that were exaggerated and a little pealing and itching of the facial skin.  A rather crazy way to do a facial peal.  I am certain all the skin experts would be appalled by my experience.  Such is life sometimes.

Thanks to all of my friends in Morro Bay for all of the fun experiences I shared with each of you.  I fell back in love with this sweet little town and I am looking forward to when I return and feel the mist and cool air off the ocean.  I will seek each of you out when I return and we can create new experiences.

For now, I am leaving for Auburn in the morning so I can spend time with my  friends there. I want to spend time with them before I am away from this area for a while.

Bumper sticker.
I offer prayers and I am holding good thoughts for all of those adversely affected by the recent tornadoes.  Hopefully they will be able to restore everything so people may resume their lives as they wish.  Loss of life can be a very difficult experience, which each of us deals with in our own way.  Heartfelt wishes to all.

"The most valuable possession
you can own
is an open heart.
The most powerful weapon
you can be
is an instrument of peace."
 - Carlos Santana

Enjoy the music to your ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment