Thursday, April 11, 2013

- THE HAT -



I finally got tired of seeing myself with raccoon eyes from wearing sun glasses almost everywhere I go.  Even the early morning walks when it is overcast can generate darkening of the skin.  Hence, I found a gardening hat at the local hardware store and it is perfect.  It has a rather wide brim which protects the face and the back of the neck.  So while others are sporting cute base ball type caps, I look as though I am looking for some dirt to play in.  (Actually, I am!)


Yard sale house, yellow with a green roof and wrap around porch.  Lovely!
The wind finally stopped by the time I went to bed last night.  My poor little home on wheels was a rocking and rolling almost all day.  Too windy and too much debris in the air to venture out any more than I did in the morning.



Today is calm, the harbor has glassy water and the seals were in the back bay feeding and causing a ruckus.  The otters have other things on their minds, I think.  The large male appeared to be posturing and attempting to gain the attention of the females.  I suspect he has something else on his mind other than food at the moment.  I need to talk with the Harbor Patrol people and find out what is going on.
The small cottage for sale.

I took another walk up to the top of Black Hill and got some better pictures of the Rock and surrounding area.  It was much more clear even though there was a bit of moisture in the air.  I was grateful as this is what kept me cool as I hiked.  

I usually walk past the lovely yellow home when I go up to Black Hill.  I have been keeping a close eye on the blooming flowers that are, oh so close to being in full display.  I think perhaps within the next week it will be totally stunning.  I will be checking and hopefully capture pictures of this color treat for the eyes.


Add caption
While I was on my way back down from the top of Black Hill I was fortunate to see a small rabbit scurrying from under one bush along the path to another bush.  It didn't freak out too badly when it saw me, though it kept moving just in case I was a threat.  It was a cotton tail.  Way too cute.

These pictures give a rather clear sense of how this huge piece of rock is almost completely surrounded by water.  There was no way to drive to the rock initially, so they constructed a land mass for people so they could get to the rock without having to go for a swim.  A jetty was constructed which made the harbor entrance.   This protects the harbor from the enormous waves of the ocean and ships are protected in the harbor.  Thus, it is safer for everyone entering and leaving the safety of the harbor.

There is a sand spit that extends into the harbor on the south east side and is visible in the pictures.  When one goes to the museum near the Morro Bay State campground they explain all about the wildlife that lives on the sand spit which includes deer and mountain lions and many other kinds of wild life.  The museum is very close to one of my favorite restaurants, the Bayside Cafe.  Joyce and Pete, Carol and I went to lunch in San Luis Obispo recently and decided the Bayside was the next lunch place for us.  Yea!
Grilled tuna wrapped in bacon with teriyaki sauce and a small salad.  Yummmm.


I am getting ready for the arrival of my son and daughter-in-law (Tim and Darlene) on Friday evening.  I need to clean house (which since it is small will happen quickly) and get other chores completed.  I actually did some mending the other day and perhaps I will continue to whittle down the items I brought with me.



Balancing rock on the trail of Black Hill.
Super foggy this morning and now it is clear and a bit windy.  I may venture out a little later to check on the flowers.  Otherwise, some cooking and chatting with the people here in the park.  Life is good.




"Humankind has not woven
the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.

  Whatever we do to the web,
we do to ourselves.

All things are bound together.
All things connect."
- Chief Seattle

Enjoy your connection!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Rosalie,

    You take great photos!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elizabeth!

    Hope to connect with you in May. I'll be in touch.

    Roe

    ReplyDelete