Saturday, April 7, 2012

$1 Check From The US Treasury

OK, so you know from my earlier blog that I finished my taxes and sent monies owed in March.  I already had a sum of money they held as credits towards this years (2011) taxes. What I sent them would have brought my balance with the IRS to zero.  A few days ago I received a check from the United States Treasury in the amount of $1.00.  I'm thinking why?  The next day I received a form letter stating:


 "We changed your 2011 form 1040 to match our record of your estimated tax payments, credits applied from another tax year, and/or payments received with an extension to file.  As a result, you are due a refund of $1.00."


I wonder what this $1.00 check cost to produce?  I'm sure some computer time, printing, paper folding, two envelopes (because the check and explanation were sent separately), maybe someone overseeing the entire process and postage.  Oh, I forgot, they don't pay postage.  Seriously?  It amazes me how quickly this was accomplished.  Do other things in the government get handled this fast and efficiently?  I think not.


Maybe they could have just held it as a tax credit to be applied to my 2012 taxes.  Apparently that would have been way to simple and inexpensive.  Just so you know, I dashed to the bank and cashed it before they changed their mind.  Should I have been paid interest?  If they change their mind again will I owe a penalty?  It was probably a very expensive piece of paper and I should have framed it for prosperity.  But it also might have thrown off the US budget.  Heaven forbid.  Amazing.....



No comments:

Post a Comment