Monday, January 14, 2013

Highway Slush!

The white is snow on the crest of the Sierra!


The recent snow and rain over the Sierra has left it's mark on the vehicles coming down this side of the mountain.  So many of them are covered with the remnants of the slush on the highway.  By the time they reach Auburn it has dried on the vehicles making them look rather foreign.  The only relatively clean part is where the windshield wipers did their job in keeping the view clear for the drivers.  If the vehicles have a rear window wiper, that too is clear of heavy debris.  Most of these vehicles also have no resemblance of their true colors.  They all look the same, an ashy beige color that covers everything.  No comparison to the pristine white snow that watches as passer by's make their way down the mountain to their destinations.  They are completely unrecognizable to those waiting for a familiar vehicle.




Another morning of ice on Tim's car!

Here, it is still cold.  While some areas have highs in the 30's, I am grateful to have high's in the 40's.  Predictions are upper 50's by Thursday.  Yes!  I am ready.  Bring on the heat wave.  There are a few things I would like to do outside though I prefer to wait until there is little risk of my fingers freezing in the process.  Meanwhile I watch the birds while they pick on each other for the best seed location.  It is interesting to me that the birds up on the hill are different than those at the little house where I used to live.  Here there are mostly dove and black phoebe.  I see the shadows of hawks as they search for food and an occasional nondescript brown bird or two shows up to eat.  It is great to see they all share for the most part.



The most frequent birds at the little house are robins, finches, blue birds, nondescript brown birds and orioles.  Occasionally there is the sound of blue jays and crows.  The distance between these two locations is very short, so I will need to check with by brother, the entomologist, to understand all about this.  Pretty curious.  Each group has its own attraction.  Though I must admit that I love listening to the song birds at the little house.  


Waste Container at Morro Rock



The bird sounds at the Central Coast are a whole different sound.  Lots of gulls and at the rock the peregrine falcons can be heard.  Pelicans have a very unusual and unique sound that is rarely heard.  I so enjoy watching them fly and especially dive for food.  It is a very different environment here compared to the coast.  


















While Millie and I were at the Fresh Market we came across mugs with wonderful sayings.  I like this one for the saying and the use of colors.  
















Enjoy being your sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment