Sunday, August 25, 2013

- PORT ANGELES -

Sunday, August, 25th




Rain Friday night and Saturday morning gave way to a partly cloudy sky and a trip to Port Angeles, Washington.  We drove out to the shore and enjoyed some wonderful clouds and views of Vancouver Island and the partially cloud covered mountains south of the city.  There were two huge tankers in the harbor adding to the scene.  

It seems as though Margie, Dart and I have been on the go since I arrived.  They have been so great taking me to see the area and Dart took me into Port Townsend again to make certain I had confirmed reservations at the RV park when I go there tomorrow.  People everywhere are busy as Labor Day approaches.  The one last fling for the summer for many folks.


While Millie and I play Words with Friends on our phones, Margie and I have played a few games on a real board.  It is quite a different process and challenging.  I have been spoiled by the phone game that counts the score and tells you if you have an invalid word.  Margie and I sort of fudge a bit with our cheat sheets.  Good fun.

Today we are off to Silverdale and will be going across the floating bridge and across the water on the ferry.  It is the same route I will take when I leave after Labor Day.  I just hope my Rv isn't too heavy and we all go down with the ferry.  I have been reassured many times that this won't happen.  Glug, glug!


It is a glorious clear, bright, sun shiny day!  All of the clouds are gone, it is still, the birds are singing, everything is clean and all is well.  It is 8:30 a.m. and 53 degrees.  The mugginess of yesterday has departed and the trees here are starting to think about turning colors. There is a feel of fall in the air.  Is it that time of year already?  Amazing.

Margie and I went and picked blackberries after dinner.  Dart usually does this, however he took care of dinner dishes while Margie, Heidi (the dog) and I tromped through a small field to find the berries.  Afterwards we drove a short distance to Port Williams.  On the way we saw a huge gathering of Canadian Geese in a dry field. 

On the way back we spotted additional geese in the area and another flock just arriving.  Down the road a bit we saw a herd of ELK!  Yes, my first elk of the trip and there they were, at least twenty of them with a huge male, in a pasture along the road.  I was only a little excited and thrilled.  I had to come almost all the way to the top of the US to see them.  Some of the younger males sporting antlers were sparring and the rest of them were simply ambling along.  Way cool!!!

So, still up in the air about going east.  Fires, temperatures, weather and such will be the determining factors after Labor Day.  The fires are a major issue as I prefer to avoid the devastated areas and the possibility of being in harms way.  The last thing the firefighters need is a wandering RV in their way as they do their job.  We'll see.





To all those celebrating today,
Happy Birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEN!

Happy Birthday, Ann Marie!
Happy Birthday, Doug!
Happy Birthday, Paige!
Happy Birthday, Carolyn!
Happy Birthday, Jenn!
Happy Birthday, Brent!




"In the end,
it is not the years
in your life that count.
It's the life in your years."
 - Abraham Lincoln

Enjoy your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment