Friday, August 30, 2013

- PORT TOWNSEND, WASHINGTON - 2

Friday, August 30th



I am so blessed to be here.  It is a lovely town that has shown me as many types of weather as I can think of for the summer time.  Days of clouds, days of fog and rain, days of winds, days of sun, etc., with so many combinations.  Constantly changing and keeping things interesting and people on their toes.  Last evening there were winds that brought a glorious clear morning which is calm and warmish.  Ahhh!

Point Hudson Marina
I have walked a fairly good part of the waterfront and uptown streets.  I have found many outstanding homes from when the town was first settled and most have been restored and are well maintained.  The Post Office looks as though it would survive just about anything one could throw at it at any time.  The court house sports an awesome clock tower and many of the churches are beautiful and inspiring.

Jefferson County Court House
I found a marvelous eatery on Lawrence Street, the Sweet Laurette Cafe and Bistro.  I stopped there for the first time a few mornings ago for breakfast.  It had rained during the night and most of the early morning so everything was wet.  I preferred to eat outside on their patio and was greeted by a couple who suggested I was crazy as they for sitting outside to eat.  I agreed.

Port Townsend Post Office
So, they invited me to join them.  We got to know each other a bit.  They are from Colorado, have five grown children between the two of them and are traveling with friends.  They are staying in the Palace Hotel, which is an original hotel from the beginning of the town.  We had a delightful meal and they ended up buying my breakfast.  I absolutely love the graciousness of those I have encountered on my Adventure.  Thank you, Universe!!!

Steps to the church
Just around the corner from the eatery is an incredible bakery.  I walked in and was almost knocked over with the abundance of wonderful looking and smelling breads of all kinds.  They sell pastries and cookies and scones and such and it was difficult to choose what I wanted.  I chatted with a woman visiting from Napa Valley and we agreed at how wonderful this little community feels.

Excited shaky hand to take picture
On one of my early morning walks I have come across several deer families munching in peoples yards on flowers, fruits and whatever else suited their taste buds.  They are completely unafraid of people.  I helped keep traffic at bay while one crossed a street.  I figured the car would have to go through me before hitting the deer.  Very cool. 

Explanation of  a rain garden
I have also found a great ice cream and candy shop.  Elevated Ice Cream Co & Candy Shop.  Everything in the shop is hand made in the area and totally yummy.  The fudge is some of the best I have had on my Adventure.  Their take on a caramel sea salt fudge is delicious.  All of their varieties of fudge are delicious.  You all realize by now that I have a fascination with fudge and seek it out where ever I am.

Water, ferry, fog, tree tops, clouds
Their ice cream is just as delicious.  One of their signature flavors is Sweet Orange Chocolate Chip.  It is very unusual and very tasty.  While the fudge is reasonable in price, the ice cream is a bit on the spendy side.  I was fine with the price once I had a taste.  I may have to go back for more.

Love the clouds
Change.  It is the only constant in the Universe.  So, I will be here in Port Townsend through Labor Day.  I will leave on Wednesday and trust the traffic will have cleared by then.  This RV park ended up having a cancellation and I jumped at the chance to stay and spend the time here rather than traveling back to the Sequim area.  I love the open water experience and feel quite at home here.  I imagine the winters here are quite interesting.  Everyone I talk with that lives here loves being here.  

English garden at a bed & breakfast
I have also been fortunate here to get my dog fix.  There have been black labs, a wolf combination, goldens, doodle combinations, a Weimaraner, and other mixed breeds that just want to be loved and pet and rubbed.  There was one older couple that almost offered me their dog, which had been their children's, and then changed their minds.  That would have been a shock.  A dog may be closer than I think to being my companion.  



To all those celebrating today,
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Carolyn!
Happy Birthday, Jenn!
Happy Birthday, Patty!


Enjoy your footsteps!

No comments:

Post a Comment