Wednesday, August 7, 2013

- SEAVIEW -

Thursday, August 1st




Yesterday was a beautiful drive along the Oregon coast. The sun attempted to break through several times though it was overcast most of the way. I found a local produce stand and stocked up on veggies, fresh local farm eggs and fruit. I think I am good for my next stay.

It was a bit windy when I arrived as I checked out the park. It is very quiet, surrounded by trees on two sides and the ocean is 300 yards to the west. Signs are up to be cautious about bears since they have been seen in the park.


I located Lynn and Lee's RV and put a note on the door so they would know which site I am in. They came by and we went into the little town of Long Beach. A very sweet small tourist town with flowers everywhere. It is so nice to see and enjoy.

Lynn and I later took a walk on the beach. Beautiful and flocks and flocks of cormorants and pelicans. I have never seen cormorants is such large groups. I don't know if this is usual for here or the time of year or what. It was quite a surprise.

This is also a driving beach and cars could be seen up the beach a ways as they gathered together so they all faced the surf. This seemed odd since California, as far as I know, has laws about not driving cars on the beach. Each state has its own ideas and laws about things.

Today I walked into Long Beach and checked out all the different shops. There are the usual t-shirt shops, gift shops, antique shops, museums and eateries. Some of the smells almost grabbed me to pull me in and sample whatever was smelling so good. I was strong though and kept moving.


They also have several arcades with all sorts of games for kids of all ages. Some had food also while others were the old pin ball machines for the young at heart. This was great. One mother was waiting for her kids and she had only given them two dollars each. She had been waiting an hour. Very cheap entertainment.

I found several art structures and even a few plaques embedded in the sidewalk. And a small grandstand that was adorable and graced with flowers. There are adequate restrooms that were clean and accessible. The only down side was there had been some kind of accident on the beach and the rescue squads were called to assist.

I found the bakery that Lynn and Lee said was wonderful though I passed it up for now. I will return later during my stay and indulge. I also found the ice cream, candy, soft drink and all sorts of other goodies shop. I purchased some fudge which is made there and a waffle single scoop ice cream.




It had rained for about fifteen minutes earlier in the day and while I was in the ice cream store it rained a little. The streets were wet when I came out. I saw a few of the drops and they were huge enough to denote each drop. Kind of amazing. This must be an interesting place when it truly rains. It also sprinkled a little later in the early evening.

I also picked up a bus schedule and I am thinking I will take a bus tour of the area one day while I am here. I can get a pass that will include all the transfers for ten dollars. I think I could be gone most of the day. Part of it goes through the dairy farms and such which will probably be beautiful and educational. This way I can see it without having to drive and be distracted.  




It feels a little warmer here and a lot less windy than Florence. The town also feels as though it is well tended to and everything looks so clean. A lot of homes in the surrounding streets are well maintained.

There is also a lack ,of what they call in California as, good neighbor fences. The fences that are up are mostly those who have pets and are chain link or some other form of see through open fencing. Most of the yards though are separated by shrubbery and bush hedges and small trees. It is all quite lively.

The only main issue here is the potential for a tsunami. When arriving at the park everyone is given a piece of paper talking about the water threat and what to do in the event of an earthquake. Evacuation route signs are just about everywhere so people will know where to go. This really gets ones attention. I hope to do a short walk on the beach later and the next morning.  Wonderful day.




To all those celebrating,
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Brenda!
Happy Birthday, Kathy!
Happy Birthday, Mary Alice!
Happy Birthday, Courtney!






Enjoy your fearlessness!




No comments:

Post a Comment