Thursday, September 12, 2013

- ELMA 2 -

Thursday, September 12th




Life here in Elma is a lot slower than most towns and especially larger cities.  Although, there is great activity at the local middle school and high school, since football season is in full swing, as it is everywhere else.  Both of the schools are located on the main street of town along with almost everything else.  It would be difficult to get lost in town.

Walking along the streets is very calming due to this slower pace and one gets the sense that all is well in the world.  Everyone is going about their business and doing their own thing.  Even I have slowed my pace, which I thought was already slowed, and am simply being.  My thoughts are changing as I enjoy this little space of calm.  This could mean that life is about to change again.  Always a constant.


I came across this little tree that has changed its colors.  I have been noticing that fall is in the air and I am seeing more evidence of it with the leaf colors.  This little tree is probably a transplant from back east somewhere.  It is very cute and lovely.

The main street has one entire block that appears to have been built in the early 1900's.  Upon investigation, only the Leroy building is original, as the others have been replaced along the way.  This town is named after a woman settler and was a trading center when it was founded in 1860.  The building actually looks fairly good given its age.


Flowers seem to be fading with the weather and season.  I did, however, spy this lovely little patch of miscellaneous flowers near the downtown area.  They are very wispy and were swaying in the breeze.  The hanging baskets of flowers are giving way to the rain falling on them.  They have seen better days during the spring and summer, I am sure.  

Autumn, fall, brings an excitement to the air.  The air feels clearer and a little crisp in the mornings.  I feel there is a change coming and it is unknown just what that may be.  Depending on where in this world you live, the experience is different.  Here in the United States we are beginning the gradual cool down of our temperatures in the north, east, west and parts of the south of our country.


Mural on a building
There are a few areas in the south where the people from the north go for the winter.  It is more temperate and warmer than the areas that get snow.  Of course it works both ways with the people in these southern areas going north for the summers.  Perhaps they might think about house trading for the seasons.  Thankfully we are all not in the same place at once.  I think the earth might get off balance.  Although currently, many things seem unbalanced.

I know the native Americans had this all figured out and would travel with the seasons with the caring for the lands and animals wherever they were.  They only took and used what they needed and I suspect always left things a little bit better than when they arrived. This is something I strive to accomplish as I go along my travels.  I am very grateful for the places I have been able to visit.

I am off to Seaside today.  I really want to go back to Olympia and go to Trader Joe's before I head to the coast of Oregon.  I need to see if time will allow.  I am  looking forward to getting back to cooler weather at the coast.  Rain predicted which is fine.  It was crazy hot here yesterday, 90 degrees and way out of my comfort zone.  

I walked to get my hair cut (it had been almost eight weeks since I had it cut while in Florence) because I was again beginning to look like bush woman.  After she did a great job she offered to drive me back to the RV park.  I accepted since the temperatures were still climbing at that time.  People are wonderful!







To all those celebrating today,
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Geri!
Happy Birthday, Damon!
Happy Birthday, Tauni!
Happy Birthday, Pattiann!
Happy Birthday, Dianne!




"Start by doing what's necessary;
then do what's possible;
and suddenly 
you are doing the impossible."
- Francis of Assisi


Enjoy your impossibles!

No comments:

Post a Comment