Sunday, September 15, 2013

- SEASIDE -

Sunday, September, 15th





Beautiful flowers are continuing to grow here in Seaside, Oregon.  I arrived to a sunny day and checked out the area and found these lovely and colorful hydrangeas in the downtown section.  There were hanging baskets of flowers and other places where flowers were thriving.  I have also found some ripe and juicy blackberries again which were wonderful in my smoothie this morning.

I have been here since Friday and will be heading on tomorrow.  This particular RV park is very popular until the end of the month, so, rather than hang around at other parks in the area, I decided to continue south.


Lit sea star lights on lamp post
The tourist part of town is different than most tourist communities in that here it is free of the usual t-shirt and trinket shops.  There are more unusual items and shops and I think a person could find some rather interesting treasures to take back home.  I found a co-op artisan shop with some wonderful creations by some very talented and creative people.  I am always amazed at the ways in which artists come up with the ideas and then create what they imagine.  It is such a gift.

I vI ventured to the heart of towm  yesterday and was surprised by seeing a small kite festival on the beach.  They were also featuring a synchronized kite flying tournament which is amazing to watch.  Several kite flyers do their magic together and to music.  It is great fun to watch and awe inspiring to realize the amount of time and practice that must go into doing what they do.

The commentator was talking about another festival where there were eighty people flying synchronized kites and how they broke the current record for the number of kites participating.  That must have been something to see.  He said that there are specific maneuvers that must be performed and that this group did more difficult stunts and continued flying for thirteen minutes which also broke the record of five.  


I have yet to check out prices for homes in the area though I suspect they are quite costly.  Lots of condos are in the area and several right downtown in the tourist section.  It was rather funny looking up at the condos and seeing the balcony's look exactly identical.  It had kind of a "Stepford" feeling.  I will look for a small patch of land that can support growing some veggies, fruit trees and a few chickens.  

So, one thing I have come to realize is how lacking in organic produce and local farmers markets there area in many of the areas I have been.  Washington seemed to have little recycling efforts going on and I heard of those in Washington bringing their bags of recyclables to Oregon to be processed.  Quite curious.

I am more aware of how important local, organic food is to me and the caring of the land and how it is being used.  It was very concerning that in some areas, there was no organic food available at all.  The issues of our food source is something I will focus on as I continue to travel and experience areas and how they feel about and care for their lands.  

I have been getting the nesting urges lately and this is also being taken into consideration.  All I can say is I will continue to do the Adventure thing while it feels right to do and stop when I feel it is time.  I am looking forward to my drive south on Hwy 101 along the Oregon coast since I was unable to stop going north due to the lack of pull outs on the east side of the road.  

There is an excitement in the air for me right now, which I am clueless as to what that is indicating.  Guess I will find out as I travel and see and feel new areas.  It may be the changing of the seasons with the slowing down of nature and getting ready for the dormancy of winter.  It may be my feelings of desiring to get my hands in the dirt again or returning to California, where I have spent most of my adult life.  I am certain I will find out...







To all those celebrating,
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Kelly!
Happy Birthday, Julie!
Happy Birthday, Linda!
Happy Birthday, Kim!
Happy Birthday, Hiliary!
Happy Birthday, Mike!



"You will know
(the good from the bad)
when you are calm,
at peace.  Passive.
A Jedi uses the Force
for knowledge and defense,
never for attack."
- Yoda


Enjoy your peace!

1 comment: