Friday, September 27, 2013

- NESKOWIN AGAIN -



I am feeling at home here and settled in quickly. It appears the way it was when I was here in July with the exception of flowers.  They have all faded and mums are the only things blooming now.   Wednesday and Thursday were beautiful sun shinny days with a slight breeze.  A sweatshirt was perfect for the temperatures.  Exactly my kind of weather.  I walked to the beach and enjoyed the large waves that were the result of the previous several days of storms.  Awesome!!!  The ocean surf, which is very rough as a result of the storms, can be heard in the park at night.  

The sunny days brought deep blue skies and huge fluffy white clouds.  The clouds above the trees were stunning and felt so close.  There was quite a bit of mist at the beach as the sand and rocks were emitting mist as they warmed with the sun.  It was funny to watch the gulls bathing in the water streaming down from the hills making its way to the ocean.  I just never think of gulls or other water birds needing to bathe.

Only a few people on the beach and one couple was from Boulder, Colorado.  They said their basement and the lower floor of their home were flooded.  He said there is so much to be done to recover the area.  Bridges, roads, sewer systems, and all the buildings, schools, hospitals, etc., need repair and rebuilding.  They have been there over thirty years and have never seen anything like this before now.  So, they were completely and thoroughly enjoying the beautiful sunny weather of the coast here.

I also came across an older woman using a walker who made me think of my Mom.  She was going to try and maneuver on the sand though changed her mind as it was too soft to navigate. (I remember doing this with Mom when I would take her to Morro Bay.)  She says she gets out and walks every day and goes along the streets of houses here.  She had a sweet smile and an accent and just kind of pulled one in.  I had a nice time chatting with her.

Friday now reveals rain.  Predictions are for five inches by Monday and rain continuing until next Wednesday.  Hmm!  I trust my toes will stay separated and my motor home will stay in contact with the ground.  As far as I know, this thing is incapable of floating.  I guess I could attach pontoons.  No, I will deal with whatever happens.

I had been feeling how clean everything was after the last rains.  Everything feels refreshed and renewed and ready to carry on.  I think that after this next batch of rain things will feel the same or more so and perhaps just a bit water logged.  I am grateful the rainfall will be happening  over four to five days rather than all at once.  

Fall is definitely in the air, in the trees and all around.  The day light hours are getting less and less.  The night time temperatures are cooler and shadows are getting longer as the sun is moving southward.  It is September and Christmas decorations are already out in the stores I have been in lately.  Halloween has yet to occur.  Really?

The wind is now picking up a bit and it gently rocks my little home.  It actually is rather comforting.  I was unable to bring my rocking chair with me, so this does the trick as a substitute.  It is especially nice at night when I go to bed.  Being lulled to sleep.  

It is interesting how the rain begins with these huge drops, then becomes sort of steady (with what I would call regular sized drops) and then, it mists or rains so gently and soft that I am unable to hear it on my roof even though I see it out my window.  It seems the rain drops come in three sizes and the large and small drops are at the edges of the actual rain.  Very curious!!!

Something else that is curious to me is the people that wear shorts in this weather.  I am usually amazed when I am at the coast during the winter and see people out in shorts with the temperatures below the mid fifties.  Perhaps years ago I use to do this, (memory failing?) however, it makes me cold to see someone do this now.  Does this mean I am getting soft?

I am in the need of a dentist so I contacted Mikki in Florence, who I met when last there, and she gave me a recommendation.  My plan is to be in Florence on Monday, so I will call now and see what I can arrange.  I had a recommendation for one in Lincoln City however, they are closed until Monday.  So it will be Florence.  Thanks Mikki!

On the sunny days I was so happy to see several robins.  They seemed to come to my site to let me know they are around.  I have heard and seen geese flying north and there seems to be more rabbits than before.  There are definitely young ones now.  The crows have shown up and meander around the park looking for whatever they can eat.  The rabbits and crows end up very close to each other and neither seems to mind.





To all those celebrating,
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Dotty!
Happy Birthday, Laura!
Happy Birthday, Dave!
Happy Birthday, Beth!
Happy Birthday, Barb!



"If you want others to be happy,
practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, 
practice compassion!"
 - Dalai Lama

Enjoy your happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment