Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Clock Is Ticking

I went to the dealership this morning with friends, to check my rv over again and make sure everything is being taken care of as agreed.  There are a few things left to be repaired, though all in all, it is looking good.  All systems are "go" at this time.  Thursday morning at 9 AM is when I do my final walk through and they show me everything I need to know about using this new (to me) coach.  And then I will drive it off the lot, bring it home and give it my personal touches. It is finally feeling real for me.  Up until now, it seemed as though it was some far off event that may or may not even happen.  Unless something occurs to change things, the time is almost here.  I am getting excited.

While I was driving there this morning,  I noticed in my rear view mirror that an rv was coming up on my left side.  I thought to myself, "That will be me in a short time."  Then, as it got closer, I saw that it was a Jayco Greyhawk, which is exactly what I will be driving.    It was a sign!  Gosh, I hope the world is ready for me being out there.  I am getting rather excited.

There is so much still to do.  I question if everything will be accomplished by my projected departure date.  September 12, 2012.  It feels strange to put this date out there.  We shall see if it holds.  Depending on how all things develop, I may be able to leave sooner.  I am getting very excited.

Lists and lists and more lists.  They have come and gone and have been recreated so many times.  Things are getting narrowed down now.  The paper stack is diminishing and final decisions are being made.  I still need to patch my shirt and pants (discovered a few other items in need of repair) and found some old cut up pillow cases that will work perfectly for this purpose.  Add to the list of things to go with;  sewing items and a container filled with various nuts, screws, wrenches, hammers, bolts, duct tape, electricians tape, pliers, tape, scissors, and etc.  I am excited.



The Station

by Robert J. Hastings

Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision.  We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent.  We are traveling by train.  Out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination.  On a certain day, at a certain hour, we will pull into the station.

"When we reach the station, that will be it!" we cry.  "When I'm 18..."  "When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz!"  When I put the last kid through college..."  When I have paid off the mortgage...!"

Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at, once and for all.  The true joy of life is the trip.  The station is only a dream.  It constantly outdistances us.

So, stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles.  Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less.  Life must be lived as we go along.  The station will come soon enough.

- - - - -


I came across this writing while going through papers and see this is so true for what I am currently doing.  All the "Whens" have been answered and now it is time to explore and be the true adventurer I am being drawn to be.  I am looking forward to the mountains, rivers, sunsets, sunrises and such.  I am especially looking forward to the more ice cream.  Did I mention, I am excited?

Enjoy your trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment