Saturday, March 2, 2013

- PEREGRINE FALCONS -

View from  the harbor.




View from the Embarcadero.
Morro Rock is the home of two pairs of breeding Peregrine Falcons.  They have been brought back from the brink of extinction by some very dedicated people and today one of the pair (that call the Rock their home) was seen mating.  Soon there will be eggs in the nest and little ones to follow. Today we were able to see the female as she sat looking out at the ocean and harbor.  There are several locals who bring their binoculars and set up tripods and such so visitors to the area, and locals as well, can see these magnificent birds up close.



Looking down Beach Street to the Embarcadero.
This area is a mecca for wildlife and friendly locals who generously share their knowledge  and kindness with others.  It is such a delight just being here.  So, my walk this morning included at least an hour talking with two gentlemen who shared their stories and offered their binoculars for me to view the birds.  The birds are so far away up the rock that it is difficult for me to even see them.  Hence, I left picture taking to those with huge lenses on massive cameras.  Thanks, guys!

I have been reminded all morning how I continue to shed the layers of all my past years that had me so scheduled and sheltered.  I am allowing these layers to slip away each time I am out and about here, as I so enjoy the area and the people.  The next few months will still be mostly tourist free and I will be able to simply explore and learn from everything around me.  I am amazed at how my thought process is changing and my awareness is increasing by all that surrounds me.  I almost feel as though I am becoming a different person, when in reality I suspect I am returning to the me that used to be prior to all the constraints of society and its rules and schedules and conformities.  Thank you, Universe


Egret and a variety of loon.
There have been some pelicans fishing in the harbor area these past few days and successfully at that!  I don't know what the force of their impact is when they hit the water, though I can only imagine if it were me, I am certain I would have a headache.  I am, therefore, very happy to see them catch the fish they were after.  Occasionally one will just float on the water's surface after catching and swallowing their meal, which concerns me that perhaps they may be injured.  So I am always grateful to see them eventually take flight again.  I am so glad to see them back.  


This morning all of the otters were gathered near the Rock in the harbor.  Three of them had babies on their bellies.  When I used to live here I remember one morning I was walking along the docks and watched as an otter swam close to where I was standing.  It was a mom and her baby, which she left bobbing on the surface while she dove down under the water along the piling to gather something to eat.  All of a sudden this small creature let out a scream that was amazing for how small it was.  And the teeth!  They were huge and very threatening. I would prefer to avoid this little ones bite.  Shortly, the mom returned and all was well again, in this baby otters life.  Mine too, as the screaming ceased.  


Egret in flight near the Rock.
Morro Bay broke a temperature high yesterday reaching 82 degrees.  Very nice.  The prediction for the next several days is decreasing temperatures with possible sprinkles next week.  We shall see.  The marine layer began coming in while I was at the Rock and now it has receded and and it is very pleasant.  Margie and Dart figured the coldest temperatures where they live are over so they headed home yesterday to Washington State.  


I will be moving to a different spot within the RV park tomorrow.  I will be back to the space I was in when I was here in November.  My neighbors are the same, so it will feel as comfortable as home.  It appears for now that I will be here through April.  Only time will tell.  A month at a time and sometimes a day at a time.  And then there are those moments.  Love it.



Hi to Allison and Tucker who were here in the RV park for a while and may be on their way back to Canada.  From there they are on to Panama to live.  Happy journeys!  Allison, the orchid is actually next door to the Dog Swim.  Still stunningly gorgeous!!!  Thanks for sharing.




"If we see a child who is two or three,
perhaps four years old, we find a free human.
Why is this human free?
Because this human does whatever he or she wants to do.  The human is completely wild.
Just like a flower, a tree, or an animal
that has not been domesticated - wild!
And if we observe humans who are two years old,
we find that most of the time these humans
have a big smile on their face and they're having fun.
They are exploring the world.
They are not afraid to play.
They are afraid when they are hurt,
when they are hungry,
when some of their needs are not met,
but they don't worry about the past,
don't care about the future,
and only live in the present moment."

- Don  Miguel Ruis
- taken from his book
- The Four Agreements

Enjoy being your own child!






No comments:

Post a Comment