Saturday, June 22, 2013

- DONNER LAKE -



While in Auburn, I was fortunate to be able to have lunch with Gaytrell, (thanks for meeting me), do a bit of shopping, and popped in to see Suzette and Elizabeth at Natural Medicine.  Michele came in as I was leaving and it was nice to see all of them.  

Well, my trip up into the hills actually took me to the high mountains of the Sierra Nevada.  I spent the night at the Donner Summit rest area which is 7227 feet in elevation.  And I woke up to 30 degrees.  This is one way to get out of the heat.  It was glorious!  I was actually cold.  Awesome feeling after the oppressive heat of the valley, especially since today is predicted to be "HOT."


I am currently in a nice and peaceful campground in Truckee.  It is extremely quiet for a weekend.  Perhaps everyone is sleeping in after a wild night of partying.  This is a big difference from Morro Bay as there was always such activity during the day on the central coast.  There are lots of people that live here year round.  This would not be my choice of where to spend the winter in an RV.

I had forgotten the peacefulness of the mountains with the sounds of the wind passing through the evergreens, and the mountain birds that have their own sounds.  No robins here.  It was 32 degrees when I got up this morning and now it is 54.  This climate is perfect for now.  I actually had to put the heater on this morning so I could take a shower.  It is rather amusing to go from flip flops to socks and t-shirts to sweatshirts or jackets.


The pictures of Donner Lake fail to capture the deep green the lake is noted for.  It is so striking after driving up the mountain and watching as the trees become sparse the higher one goes.  The scenery becomes more granite with scattered trees and then, Bam!, the Lake.  It is so lush around the entire area.  I did see a boater leaving a white wake as it sped across the lake.  It seemed a little cold to be out boating although there are those who will do almost anything regardless of the weather.

Just heard a pine cone land on the roof of my little home.  The sounds on my roof always amaze me as they are quite louder than on other roofs.  Love the sound of rain on it.  Yesterday afternoon there were HUGE critters scampering across the roof.  It sounded as though they were condors or elephant squirrels or something.  I stayed calm and was grateful they moved along.  


The other thing I get captured by is clouds.  There is just something about the whiteness against the deep blue sky that makes me smile.  I am always able to see something in them, even if it is the fact that it is a cloud.  As children we would lay in the grass on our backs and watch the clouds for hours.  Ohio had some pretty amazing ones, though the ones here are rather spectacular as well.

I have no one listed as having a birthday this week.  How can that be?  Unacceptable.  Who am I missing?  So; 


Happy Birthday, whoever you are!







Enjoy you!

No comments:

Post a Comment