Monday, June 24, 2013

- RAIN AND FALLING PINE CONES -

There still is snow in the high Sierra!


Ah, being in the mountains is so nice.  The air is cooler than the valley and it has been raining off and on since 4 a.m. this morning.  It is relatively light and without wind which makes it very soothing.  The only odd thing is when a pine cone comes crashing down on the roof.  This goes way beyond the elephant squirrels playing on the roof.  I would prefer to avoid to be under one of these falling cones.  That would surely hurt.


The past two days have been full.  I managed to replace the brackets for the two drawers that fell in disrepair.  It took a while, though once I figured out how it was all put together, it was good.  They certainly failed to make the spaces large enough to make it easy access.  I felt like I was a living pretzel.  Fortunately I was able to straighten up when I was finished.


I walked into the small town of Truckee (about a half of a mile away) yesterday and meandered through all of the shops on the main street of Hwy 89.  I came across a few signs that made me smile and others to pause and ponder.  I also found the "Sweets" shop and, of course, I purchased a small amount of fudge.  Good, though Crill's in Morro Bay is still the best so far.  I will continue the search for the most awesome fudge during my travels.  I will say that the panocha I make is absolutely the best.  I usually only make it in the winter around the holidays.  It is a good thing since it is crazy addicting.



I managed to dodge most of the light rain as I walked back to the RV park from town.  Most of the travelers left yesterday which leaves me with the permanent residents here.  It almost feels deserted.  The rain is a welcome event.  It cleaned everything off and provided puddles for the birds to drink.  There was a beautiful Steller's Jay filling up from several spots.  And there are robins!  I simply have yet to see them.  They usually wake me around 4 a.m. with their singing.  I love it.


I have been busy plotting my course from here.  I have a few local stops, such as getting the oil changed and possibly find out why the passenger window sometimes refuses to go up and down.  You realize that when I took it in to get it checked out, it would work perfectly.  Now, not so much.  It is the same when there is an odd noise that mysteriously disappears when one takes it in to be looked at.  Curious.  Another one of those things that makes one shake their head.


There have been lots of wonderful clouds with the incoming storm.  At the higher elevations the sky seems bluer and the clouds seem closer and whiter and fluffier.  Yesterday they were a bit ominous and threatening.  I love the feel of the energy of storms.  And then we had the super moon on Monday morning to accent it.  Amazing.



It is amazing what can be found growing among the rocks!







 - Roy Rogers 


Enjoy your steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment