Saturday, June 1, 2013

- CANYON CREEK DAY 1 -




Spent the past week at Machado's and visiting with Gary and Shawn. They were kind enough to let me hook up at night to electricity and water so I could keep my refrigerator going, work on the computer and charge my cell phone. The balloon is flying high over the store now and is all bright and shiny white as it is new this year. The other one was simply too old and holes occurred way too often.


So, now I am at the Canyon Creek Resort about 20 miles west of Davis. I am right along the river at the bottom of the damn of Lake Berryessa and it is extremely serene and peaceful. Of course, in the event the damn gives way, those of us here will all be toast. So here is hoping the recent earthquakes leave everything here in tact for now.



Even with the temperatures rather warm, there is a breeze and in the shade it is quite comfortable. I could run the air conditioner though I would then need to close the windows and hence miss out on all of the wonderful nature sounds. Just past the campsite where I am there are rocks in the river which creates its own water feature sounds. This will be lovely to sleep by.


Apparently I will be visited by geese. My resort tour guide, Scott, pointed out the grassy area along the river where they hang out. He was surprised they were not there as we drove by. I checked it out once I was settled and found an abundance of goose feathers of all sizes. Hopefully it is just a molt. So I have officially started my feather collection of my adventure. Something about this is scary. I could soon be out of space. I must remember to just take one feather at each stop.





As part of my stay here, I have two vouchers for a free pizza at the local cafe. They are baked in an outside brick oven and I have to say, this one was very good. I will wrap each of the left over pieces separately and freeze them for a later time. I will get my second pizza tomorrow and do the same. I think I need to make room in the freezer. What can I eat? Ice cream, that should do the trick!

Lots of golf carts running around as security and maintenance are busy at work. No wifi at the campsite. I need to go to the family lodge and connect there. Phone service is nil, so for now, I am off the radar. I will send emails to family so they know all is well. I sense this is a nice place to spend three nights.




A pair of mallard ducks just flew from the waters edge upstream. And a robin is checking out the area around my site. Ground squirrels are scampering about and some kind of bird is flying to the waters surface and taking off again. (I am guessing, swallows.) I suspect I will be totally entertained while I am here. This is the nicest kind of entertainment. Nature. At its best. I doubt I will need my down blanket tonight. Haha!



Happy Birthday, Laura!




"It does not require many words
to speak the truth."
- Chief Joseph


Enjoy your words!

No comments:

Post a Comment