Monday, July 9, 2012

"Joe Versus The Volcano"


This movie is a quirky romantic fantasy that was made in 1990.  Tom Hanks (One of my very most favorite actors!) and Meg Ryan star in this rather goofy firm.  However, the message, for me, is all about doing what you are afraid of doing and taking the Leap.  Really living life and stretching ourselves by doing things we may have never done before.  Doing one thing at a time, with conscious awareness and presence of mind.  For me, that is eating, while I am eating.  Watching television, while watching television.  Crocheting, while crocheting.  Although I must admit, I do listen to a movie while crocheting.  And slowing down.  It seems almost everywhere I go anymore, everyone is in a hurry.  Lives are so crammed with things to do there is little time to get all of them accomplished.  


One of the problems, though, is we are continually doing the same things.  Day in and day out.  We wake up to the alarm, get ready for work, do the work thing, lunch, and home for dinner and chores and go to bed, only to wake up to the alarm again.  "Groundhog's Day" was a perfect example of this.  We appear to be repeating the same actions every day.  So we become unconscious of what we are actually doing.  I find myself in this situation many time during the day and evening, so I am currently in the mind frame to change this behavior.  


I remember what it feels like to go somewhere I had never been.  The trees seemed greener and more animated.  I noticed the architecture of homes and buildings.  I saw more wild animals in their natural habitat.  I smelled new flowers and different foods cooking.  The sun felt warm and comforting, the breeze was more welcomed, the clouds were fluffier, and I was discovering all things new.  I wonder what it is like to live each moment with this newness? This is part of my new quest.  


I know once I am out on my Adventure, everything will be new.  Now, however, I want to attempt to live each moment with the intention of discovering what it truly is.  To savor the taste and flavors of a dark chocolate covered caramel as it melts and spreads its wonderfulness in my mouth.  To wake to the sounds of the morning birds and try to identify who is singing.  To marvel as the sun rises and shines light on the top leaves of the trees across the street and watch as it spreads to engulf the full tree as the sun rises further.  To imagine how my sheets feel as they are gently blown dry in the breeze.  


So all of this is old news.  Heard it before.  Said it before.  Take a different route when going to a usual place.  When putting on socks, put it on the other foot first.  When hanging out laundry, starting from the opposite end.  When watering the lawn, drag the hose around in a different pattern.  It is simply doing things differently all the time so we can be more aware of what we are doing.  I do think, however, that I will continue to shower from the top down rather than reversing it.  But maybe cleaning the ears before putting on deodorant.  Mix it up.  Stay aware.  Pay attention.  Truly live!


As I am typing this I am aware of a robin sitting on the corner railing of the neighbor's deck. When it scratched it's neck it stuck it's wing out.  He/she is perhaps surveying the lay of the land for food.  Maybe an unaware insect flying by or maybe some movement in the leaf litter indicating a worm is restless.  A robin's life seems uncomplicated.  Sing, sleep, soar, take baths, have and raise babies and eat.  And also stay aware so it can stay alive and out of the mouth of the local cat.  They say animals in the wild rarely take the same path.  Something to think about.  So much to think about and to be aware of.  Better get started.


Enjoy living!





2 comments:

  1. Ok really? I'll have to get a dry erase board with all my dailies so I can check em off as I go if im gonna do it outa order. Hell, I can't remember anything anymore. I'm bound to forget too many things, probly forget to brush my teeth or something. Lol! Luv u

    ReplyDelete