Friday, July 6, 2012

Sad Movies / Hidden Messages


Why is it that when watching a movie I have already seen many times, and I know a sad part is coming, that I still cry?  It fascinates me that I have this whole dialogue going on in my head about my being in control of my emotions while watching a sad movie.  So I know the scene is coming and I attempt to get my self ready to just watch it, without emotion, and there it is anyway and I find myself crying, again.  When the sad part is past, I laugh at myself and shack my head and am still confused by the whole thing.  I enjoy watching other kinds of movies too, yet a few favorites, such as, "Steel Magnolias,"  "Forrest Gump." "Peaceful Warrior," and "Somewhere In Time" are ones I will continue to watch again and again, and cry, again and again.  So it is! 






"Peaceful Warrior" is a movie based on the book "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" written by Dan Millman, a world gymnastics champion.  I first read the book in the mid 1980's and read it again and again over many years.  (Yes, I read books again and again, also.)  Several years ago I discovered the movie.  After watching it I simply had to read the book again to see the differences between the two.  For me, reading the book and then watching the movie makes more sense.  
However, the ritual for this movie and book is to watch the movie several times in a row and then read the book.  


I love to look for the hidden message or the underlying meaning or the suggested idea, that is the foundation for every book or movie.  The spark that caused the author or writer to do their thing.  "Peaceful Warrior" seems to have two messages.  First, to pay attention to and enjoy the journey.  Using all of the senses to truly enjoy the journey.  And how that original journey includes many, many side journeys along the way.  And to enjoy them as well.  


For me, that is enjoying hanging out the sheets.  Smelling the freshness of their being clean and watching as the breeze gently blows them dry.  When it is really hot, they just hang there as though stuck in the air.  And when it is really windy, rescuing them before they are torn from the pins holding them to the line.  Once they are dry and I take them down, I feel the crispness of the material and folding them brings a sense of neatness and once they are all put away on the shelves, a satisfaction knowing they are all ready for their next use.  


Second, to experience unreasonable happiness.  Being happy without a reason in the world.  Being happy during the journey.  And the journeys and journeys within the journey.  To simply be happy.  This takes a bit more practice, I think.  A greater sense of how I feel inside at all times.  And adjusting it if need be.  "Don't Worry, Be Happy!"  Great song.  


Enjoy your journeys and journeys, within your journeys and journeys!



No comments:

Post a Comment