Friday, July 13, 2012

The Robbers Fire

Wednesday afternoon a fire broke out in a canyon about ten miles from where I live.  That night the wind shifted and smoke enveloped the area here and lasted most of the day. Many people with lung issues have gone down the mountain to escape the particulate matter that has filled the region.  There are many homes and families threatened by the fire, which has now split into two fires heading in different directions.  People and animals are evacuated and in fear of the unknown. As of this morning, the fires, which has burned over 1,150 acres, are still only ten percent contained.   Holding good thoughts and offering blessings and prayers to those affected by this event, as well as, to all those providing effort and support to extinguish this fire.  


I can still smell smoke and, according to the news this morning, it may be in and out of the area here off and on all day today.  After that, unless things get worse, they expect the winds to carry the smoke north and up.  The temperatures are predicted to be lower also, which is greatly anticipated.  Think I will wash and hang out the sheets tomorrow.  I still need to remove the smoke smell from inside of the house.  Probably have to wash curtains and other material things to remove it completely.  It is amazing how it permeates almost everything.  I can't image what it must be like where the homes are closer to the fires and smoke.  


Yesterday morning I was preparing the room for a session and saw something at the window sill.  I thought it was a large brown moth.  So, I went to get something to capture it and put it outside.  When I got closer to it, I found it to be another tree frog.  He was trying to blend into the surrounding colors and was beige, brown, rust, and almost orange colored.  He was beginning to climb up the screen so I had to move quickly to cut off his escape route.  He fell on the sill so I swiftly covered him/her with a plastic container and slipped a piece of cardboard under her/him.  I released him/her out in the orchard where they had just finished watering.  I am clueless as to how he/she got in the room.  However, I am glad to see they are still around and hopefully eating all the bugs that seem to be bountiful this year.


Only one market in my area is carrying seeded watermelons this season.  These are my favorite because I think they have the best flavor and texture.  My mother-in-law, years ago, introduced me to cutting the watermelon up and removing all the seeds so that we could simply enjoy eating it without fighting with the seeds.  I do this now and love it.  It takes a bit of time to remove the seeds, but the end result is worth the effort.  I have it down to a science so it doesn't take much time at all.  Yum!  Love this summer food.


Well, will go down the hill today to load up on needed supplies that are unavailable here.  Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Costco.  These are probably places I will be challenged to find during my Adventure.  I think I will Google search and see where they are located throughout the US so I can plan my routes accordingly.  There are just some things that only these stores carry.  Whole Foods carries 100% grass fed beef.  Costco carries my favorite albacore tuna in water and canned pineapple in its own juice.  And Trader Joe's has great nuts and frozen fish that is Alaskan wild caught.  Have to watch where the fish comes from though, because it is not all caught in the US.  Reading the labels is a must for just about everything these days.  Doing my best to buy organic.  As well as, buying US made.  Both of these can be challenging at times.  Need to get moving!


Enjoy your fresh air!





No comments:

Post a Comment