Sunday, February 3, 2013

"Another Birthday"




This one was mine.  Friday, February 1st was the day, so I drove from Citrus Heights to Morro Bay.  It was an easy drive even though there was some fairly dense fog between south Sacramento and Stockton.  After that it was sunshine and warmer temperatures.  I listened to a CD of classic Disney songs as I drove and got a bit emotional with some of them.  Though, coming over the final coastal mountain there was coastal fog.  It was fine because I am dealing with a bit of a head cold and all I really wanted to do when I got here was to sleep.  Which I did.




A big "thank you" to all of my well wishers.  It was so wonderful hearing from each of you and, Sandy, thanks for the art email.  You are such a creative person.  Wishes came from so many sources, it was amazing.  I even have three balloons creating a rather festive atmosphere in the motor home.










I spent most of yesterday attempting to catch up on much needed computer and paperwork.  I also continued to sleep more to keep this head cold from getting any bigger or developing into anything else.  So far, so good.  It was a foggy day, so it was fine.  By sunset, the fog gave way to some scattered thin high clouds making for another most unusual and beautiful sunset.  The sky was shaded the most delicate pink for quite a while and felt so soothing.  Love Mother Nature!


This morning I awoke to fog that cleared by around 9 a.m.  Feeling better, I went for a walk on the Embarcadero and along the wharf to the rock.  There is a high surf warning as waves were crashing over the jetty.  Three young men wearing wet suits were making their way along the rocks of the jetty and occasionally a huge wave would wash over them.  They were way beyond the safety markers, so all one can do is hope they stayed safe.

Correct me if I am mistaken, however, I think it is still winter.  I took some mail to the local post office and came across a blooming Agapanthus.  Caught me by surprise.  Then I began to notice lots of other summer blooming plants in bloom.  Did I miss spring or something?  




I got my dog fix with several dogs along my walk.  An awesome Bernese Mountain Dog was having it's picture taken and smiling the entire time.  He was only two years old, however he was calm and loving all the attention everyone was giving him.  (Me included.)  There was a chocolate lab in the back of a pick up which was begging for attention.  So, obviously, I came to it's rescue.  It has a scar across is nose from some mishap, though he/she was completely friendly and loving human touch.

Today is super bowl Sunday for all the football fans.  I am kind of thinking I will go for another stroll once it starts and all the people will be back in their homes or someone else's and I will have the streets to myself.  Maybe I will be able to get a better picture of the otters in the bay.  They had company today as there was a local group of divers investigating the vegetation near where the otters were resting.  As I came upon them the sun was behind them and they appeared to be something big and black and rather scary.  They almost looked like tar figures coming out of a tar pit.  Strictly my first impression.  Fortunately I was relieved to see them up close and subdued my concerns.


It feels so good to be at the ocean.  The sounds of the surf and the waves crashing, the fog horn, the gulls and other birds and hawks.  For now, this is home.  And I am grateful.


"I never before knew the full value of trees.  
Under them I breakfast,
 dine, write, read and receive my company."
-  Thomas Jefferson

Enjoy your vegetation!

No comments:

Post a Comment