Friday, October 19, 2012

Fog Banks

Yesterday my little adopted niece from China turned three years old.  It is amazing to realize she has been in our family for over two years now.  What a sweet and adorable girl, who captures the hearts of all she meets.  I am looking forward to seeing her again in the spring.  Wish we lived closer to each other.  It is a good reason to travel East. 


This was taken in May this year.  She is wearing our favorite color.


This morning I was awake early and was on the beach way before the sun came up.  Looking toward the north west is the Cayucos pier and a bank of fog in the distance.

Looking south west is Morro Rock and the fog bank hovering over  Los Osos.

And then, back to the flower thing, here is one very beautifully painted mail box.  It continues with the flowers and colors of those on the steps.  A lot of the flower pots themselves are also very brightly painted with flowers.  Such fun and happy adornments.

Today I am off to Morro Bay to get a few needed items for the motor home and recheck on a few rv parks.  I may head north along the coast and visit Hearst Castle and see the behemoth elephant seals who call a particular beach their home.  This picture was taken in January with one of the mothers nursing her calf.  


If you have not seen these mammals, it is is impossible to relate to how large they are.  Nature shows on television have shown them, however, up close and personal, they are huge!!!  During late December the females start arriving on the beach and give birth.  By early January, it is total bedlam.  The noise from the pups wanting to nurse, the females declaring their space and the males battling to mate is tremendous.  Then you add in the gulls and their racket over any pickings available and it is difficult to hear your own thoughts.  I can stand and watch them for hours.  I did so once, many years ago, and came away with quite a sunburn.

This morning, as I was picking up trash on the beach, I became aware of many gulls gathering around me.  Kind of felt similar to the movie "The birds."  I then realized they thought I had something for them to eat in the bag I was carrying.  I relayed the situation to them and they wandered off.  A rather eerie feeling at first.  I was very grateful they understood my speak.

My treasure from the beach this morning is a tiny conical shell.  Lots of people have just as many names for this little Chinese hat shaped shell.  Anyway, it is very cute.  

Gift of the Seaguull!!!

A lonely seagull flies the winds
Majestic...soaring...gliding wings
A single screech sounds from the sky
Come fly with me...come here and fly

My spirit floats to be a part
I feel the beating of its heart
My soul, one with this bird of sea
Now knows the meaning to fly free

I feel the winds caress my soul
And soar the streams without a goal
My being trembles of delight
A treasure I received tonight

The seagull's flight of soaring high
The gift of what it means to fly

by Munda

Enjoy your flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment