Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Morning Beach!!!

Early morning walks on the beach, for me, are an awesome way to start the day.  It feels fresh and new with little use before I tread upon the sands.  It was clear yesterday morning and rather mild.  Perhaps hinting of a warmer day.



I cast a very large shadow this early in the morning.  One would think I was very, very tall.


Close to the end of the beach, beyond the pier, was a group of five different kinds of birds at the edge of the surf.  It was rather calm there and each variety was doing it's own thing.  The gulls were just sitting there, maybe warming up before the busy day of searching for food.  The sandpipers were following the waters edge in and out, as they searched for food.  There were tiny little birds kind of doing the same thing as the sandpipers, though they had much shorter legs and so were running in and out and sometimes needing to take to the air to avoid the surf catching them.  As I stood there, they ignored me and went about their morning rituals.  So peaceful.  I was too far away for the picture to truly capture all the activities of the birds.

Walking the beach, I always bring two plastic bags.  One is to collect the special sea treasures that I love discovering.  The other is to pick up the garbage left on the beach.  This morning there were lots of cigarette butts, pieces of plastic wrap, a straw, and various pieces of paper and wrappings.  Surprisingly there were no liquid containers.  It is unknown where all of these things come from.  I just remember seeing a documentary about how all of these items end up in the stomachs of the bird and animal life of the sea and how it makes them sick, even causing death.  Albatross chicks actually die of malnutrition because of all of the human garbage they end up consuming, fed by their unknowing parents, thinking it is food.  So I do a small part to keep this from happening.


One of the many plaques I took a picture of at the Wampum Trading Post.


It seems so important to me that each of us do our part to care for our planet.  We can each decide what that means for us.  I am confused when I see someones pet taking care of business and the owners leave it, as though where ever it lands is a public garbage pile. I am certain they would be offended if they stepped in some other dogs poop.  Please... Pay attention.  Be aware.  Be considerate.  Clean up after yourself and your animals.

Did some laundry and checked out local rv sites for future use.  The off season rates seem reasonable and I will probably stay at one of them for a while until I get my fill of this great area.  (That could be a long time.)  We shall see.

I forgot to mention that I completely lost Wednesday.  I am clueless as to where it went.  I had things arranged for Thursday and almost lost them because I thought it was Wednesday.  I have a strange feeling this may happen again.  I guess I will need to look at my phone everyday so I know what day and date it is.   I'm sure it will only be important to know if I have something planned.  I need to at least pay attention to this.  This being retired is kind of tricky.  Loving it!

Lots of varieties of dogs here.  Just met this adorable little four month old Pomeranian named Lilly.  All three pounds of her.  Big dogs, little dogs, fit dogs, old dogs.  They are all here and I am getting to share with them.  All very good.  Perhaps one will come my way and join me on my adventures.

Enjoy your part!




No comments:

Post a Comment