Friday, October 12, 2012

Succulents Everywhere Here!

Yesterday I was checking out the huge amount of various succulent plants in this sweet little town.  Until I started truly paying attention, I was missing out on some incredible gifts of nature.  






A Jade plant hedge about three feet tall
Up close look at the jade plant petals.
And, for all of you who have difficulty growing jade plants, here is what they look like on the coast.  They grow into hedges and bushes.  People literally chop the tops off and they just keep growing back more dense and fuller than before.  They produce great colors here as well because they are growing outside all year.  Try and do that in the valley!  I think not.  I have tried and they either fry or freeze, depending on the temperatures.  It is such a delight to see them this way.


After it rained, I walked on the beach with Chris and Duke, the dog.

He is huge, though this picture fails to capture that and how absolutely beautiful he is.  Truly a gentle giant.  He is one of the sweetest dogs I have been graced to meet and spend time with.  Similar to a teddy bear one just wants to cuddle and hug.

Smells continued yesterday with a whale skin that Chris says just keeps moving up and down the beach with the assistance of waves and tides.  A dead gull in the kelp on the beach added to the mix.  The ocean air though seems to make it all alright.  And walking past the Cookie Company store helps too.  

The schedule thing (or rather the lack of the schedule thing) is very curious.  There are times when I am flowing along and feeling quite free.  And then there are other times when guilt kind of sneaks in a bit.  I am obviously still adjusting to all of this.  I wonder how long this will take.  Actually, this is of little importance since it simply is what it is.  I am very grateful to have this opportunity to (as they say) "go with the flow."

John Muir Plaque

Enjoy your walks!

No comments:

Post a Comment