Wednesday, July 17, 2013

- FLORENCE -

Wednesday, July 17th

Jedediah Smith Park Redwood with mushroom


I left Klamath, CA Tuesday morning and heading north I ended up in Port Orford, OR.  I found a sweet, small park on the north end of town and stayed the night.  

There are about 45 spaces and more than half are long term tenants.  All of their sites are clean and neat without any debris around their little homes.  The overnight sites are gravel and surrounded with grass.  

Jedediah Smith River Redwood
The showers and other facilities, while small, were clean and more than adequate.  Lots of owner touches throughout the park and a true attention to detail.  The owners/ managers greet and help park guests.  I had called them from a short distance away, got a quote, and said I'd be there shortly.  I pulled in, went into the office and all the paperwork was there ready for me to sign.  Some of the most friendly people I've come across.

I could have stayed longer, however I am attempting to get to Mt. Rushmore and possibly the east coast.  Hummmm!!!  So I will just keep moving on at the pace that feels right at the moment and see where it takes me.

Side shot of the grumpy face burl
I haven't taken any pictures in the past several days as I have been driving and figuring out where I think I am going next.  I arrived in Florence, Oregon this afternoon to sunshine.  Temperatures are predicted to be low to mid 70's.  Most doable.  All of the other travelers report they are along the coast to get out of the heat.  Lots of people from Arizona, Utah, California and Texas.

I am here for seven nights and since my membership card failed to make it to Klamath by the time I left, it is being sent UPS to the RV park here.  We shall see how this goes.  At this point I can only laugh and shake my head.  I wonder if I'll have to drive to Signal Hill, in Southern California, to get it.  I don't think so.

Klamath River
It was hard leaving Klamath.  I really like it there and the couple I met there, Sheri and Joe, are wonderful.  We have exchanged information and will definitely keep connected.  They are talking about maybe camp hosting at Klamath next summer and that would be so much fun to do with them.  A long time off and much will change, I'm sure.

My travels the past few days have presented a Great Blue Heron, several Great White Egrets, robins, Stellar's jays, vultures, pigeons and more.  I have yet to see any of the elk which everyone says are everywhere.  Here there is a serious population of bears.  I was handed several papers with do's and don't for here in the park, as well as, out on any hiking trails.  So must be aware and cautious.

Klamath River
And still, everywhere I wanted to stop and take pictures or places of interest to stop and visit, such as the wild animal safari park or other points of interest, were all on the other side of the road.  I guess this means I will need to return south along the coast in order to enjoy some of these beautiful and amazing areas and spots.  I am curious how that will work out.

As I was passing through Coos Bay there were all kinds of activity on the left side of the road.  It even appeared they were having a farmers market (which I love).  There was no where for me to park my RV and cross over Hwy 101 and run three blocks to enjoy whatever they were offering.  Perhaps they will have some here.  I am on the hunt.

I am fairly stocked for food as I stopped at the Safeway in Crescent City before I left California yesterday.  A very curious point is that I figured I best get gas before I go into Oregon and so I ended up paying $4.13 per gallon in Crescent City.  Yuk.  And then about ten minutes into Oregon the gas prices were $3.93 per gallon.  The farther north I go the less expensive it seems to be getting.  Here it is $3.73 per gallon.  I trust the trend will continue.  Anything under $3 a gallon out there?

Beach at Klamath River
I have a great cell signal here.  I will be able to put my blog together and publish it at the same time.  I can play Words with Friends and even talk on the phone.  These are just a few of the upsides of technology.  One of the things I have become accustomed to is having no TV.  Cable is about all that seems to work and several of the parks either don't offer it or charge extra for it.  I am quite content to watch one of my dvd's when the sun goes down.  

The spot I am in is partially shaded and there are trees and bushes between me and the neighboring sites.  There is no grass in or around the sites though they are quite spacious. This is truly a wooded area.   I suspect no grass at sites may be the norm. Guess I'll find out eventually.

My niece, in England, passed her first year exams of vet school and is coming home (MD and VA) sometime in August.  (Yay, Jen!)  I would love to be there and see her, however it seems that it will remain a dream and I'll just have to go to England to visit her.  The pros and cons are alive with this one.

Beach at Klamath River

To all those celebrating today,
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Marjorie!

"Because of the diverse conditions of humans, it happens that some acts
are virtuous to some people,
as appropriate and suitable to them,
while the same acts
are immoral for others,
as inappropriate to them."
Enjoy your diversity!




No comments:

Post a Comment