Tuesday, July 2, 2013

- WESTPORT 2 -


A cove along the cliffs of Fort Bragg


Monday evening, July 1st.

This is a large campground. Some of the spaces are along the creek while others are actually along the beach. They have tent sites and sites for those traveling on bikes and/or walk ins. There are a lot of people here because of the 4th of July on Thursday. I am uncertain what to expect although I think it is going to be noisy. Guess I best prepare myself since I have had mostly very quiet campgrounds so far.

It is nice to actually be close to the ocean again. The site in Fort Bragg was about two and a half miles inland. It was in the trees and super quiet. The site across the way from where I stayed had a camp fire every night and others in the campground brought their chairs and they all sat around and attempted to solve the problems of the world. They always seemed to wrap things up by around 10 pm and everyone went back to their respective homes. I think most of them were there long term.


Along the cliffs of Fort Bragg

When I walked into Fort Bragg, there was a delightful path that curved around the cliffs and was accessible to everyone. Lots of parking and doggie bags for the people to use. I was glad I made the trek because it gave me some fresh ocean air. The ocean was calm that day and I saw a couple of guys in wet suits climb up the cliffs from the water with some sort of floatation device attached on their backs. Not sure what they had been doing but they seemed fairly tired by the time they were up on the cliff and on the pathway.

The people I came across during my walk were less friendly than most I have encountered during my travels so far. Even those in the RV park were a bit to themselves. Difficult to explain. Here in Westport the campers are much more friendly. The people right next to me are very nice. It has been a busy afternoon of RV's, trailers, etc. moving in for however long they are staying. I expect once everyone is settled, it will be a quiet night. All of the campgrounds have very strict rules about quiet time. Most post it as 10 pm to 8 am. So far, this has been adhered to by everyone around me, which is nice.


Along the cliffs of Fort Bragg


I will spend the day on the beach and see how far I can walk. This is a sort of bay so there aren't the huge waves one sees at an exposed shore. While I am out and about I will check for cell service. I have been told that Verizon is available at some locations here and also up at the entrance area. Need to check it out so I can play Words with Friends with Millie. If not, I could go through with drawls. Heaven forbid.

I discovered I only have 1 free hour of wi-fi here, so I must use it wisely. My phone is a hot spot, however it is only good when I have service. So I am creating the blog ahead of time in my word processing program so that all I have to do is publish it as soon as I am online. I am being prepared for some of the things I may experience at the many locations I will be. A complete learning curve. Always something! So far, so good.



Along the cliffs of Fort Bragg

There are no fog horns or buoys with bells here since this is not a harbor. It seems so odd without these sounds. There are a few other areas I have been to where this is the case. Point Reyes is one and Montana de Oro. I hadn't really thought much about this until now. Since there are no large waves either, that generate sound, one mostly hears the birds singing. This is all good with me.

It is 7:30 pm and the sun is working its way to setting. I can smell the salty air, BBQ'S a cooking and some of the vegetation along the edges of the campgrounds. Some people have finished washing their dishes at the wash station and have returned to their sites. It is a peaceful time of evening and everyone seems to be settling in for the night. There are actually moments of absolute silence.



Along the cliffs of Fort Bragg


Tuesday, July 2nd is Joyce's birthday. Happy Birthday!!


The greater danger for most of you
lies not in setting your aim too high
and falling short:
but in setting your aim too low,
and achieving your mark.”
  • Michelangelo


Enjoy your aim!

No comments:

Post a Comment