Thursday, July 4, 2013

- Westport 5 -

Thursday morning, July 4th



There was a beautiful and peaceful sunset last night. It was mostly a soft orange and it is interesting the calm it brings to everything and everyone. People tend to watch in awe as the scene slowly changes and becomes more intense just before peaking and then gently softens as it all just appears to slip into the ocean. A very nice ending to the day.

Well, last night Mother Nature put on a show of her own for the upcoming 4th. There was lightening as I have never experienced it before. It was flashing all over the place which was amazing and fantastic. There was very little thunder, only light. There had been a few fireworks set off by someone in the campgrounds earlier that completely paled in comparison to what Mother Nature shared with all of us. Wow!!!



This morning the sky was clear as I found my way among the sand critters to the waters edge and enjoyed a rather warm and lovely stroll on the beach. It was calm after the event of last night and there were only a few others joining me. I love early mornings when everything is just waking up and everything feels fresh and alive. For me it is the best way to begin each day.

I saw lots of sea kelp, no jelly fish, found a few more china hats ( one with barnacles on it) and again, millions of small sand critters. I suspect they are in a mating ritual with each one jumping in the air in hopes of bumping into a potential partner. The waters edge was the only way to avoid them. I also walked along the edge of the creek that empties into the ocean. I could only go so far as the vegetation became way too dense for me to pass. It was a very gentle creek that was clean and clear and had lots of things to say about its travels from the mountains.



I walked up to the entrance of the campgrounds and had a rather weak cell signal. I decided to forget the phone and stay focused on where I was. Then I noticed it had a great vantage point of the ocean. Walking along the cliff I came across the small old cemetery of Westport. It appeared to be well maintained and I respectfully meandered through the area. Since I am no where near Arlington, this seemed an appropriate place to mentally thank all those who were before us and those who now, fight to make and keep this Country safe. Prayers and blessings to all who have and do protect our country.



I chatted with a man and his two young children this morning as we were viewing the ocean from on top of the cliffs. This was their first time here and were staying in one of the rental cabins up on the cliff. It gave a great view of the ocean and campgrounds. They were preparing to spend the day on the beach. I gave the little girl and her younger brother the shells I had found this morning. I still have the two I collected yesterday.



By noon, most of the campers here have made their way to the beach and staked out their spots among those who have pitched tents on the beach during the night. It is one crowed scene, which I prefer to leave to them. I enjoy the empty beach mornings and evenings much better. This also makes for a quiet time, during the day, to spend working on my blog so when I get ready to publish, all goes smoothly. This is, of course, if their connection is good, which has not always been the case. Ah, life on the road. Always changing and interesting. Must keep breathing.

If I survive the night here with all of the celebrations that I am certain will occur, I will head out first thing in the morning and make my way to Klamath, CA. The temperatures look promising and I am trusting it will be an easy drive. I will need to backtrack to Fort Bragg to take Hwy 20 across to 101. The gentleman at Klamath suggested I do this as the other road from here into Leggett is very rough according to him. This will add about half an hour plus to my travel time yet sounds as though it will be easier traveling.






"Wise persons think of others,
helping them as much as they can,
and the result is happiness.
Love and compassion are beneficial
both for you and for others.
Through your kindness toward others your mind and heart will open to peace.”
  • - Dalai Lama


Enjoy your happiness!



No comments:

Post a Comment