Monday, July 8, 2013

- KLAMATH -

Friday, July 5th




I left Westport this morning, saying good by to the sweet little beach and its sand critters.  It was cooler this morning so a sweatshirt was in order.  The waves were larger and white caps could be seen quite a distance from shore.

I started early and had a lovely drive back to Fort Bragg where I filled up on gas and headed east to connect with Hwy 101 north.  It was cooler there then when I stayed, so I was glad for the sweatshirt.

I picked up Hwy 101 in Willits.  From there one is almost instantly in the redwoods.  Hence, Hwy 101 is called the Redwood Highway.  Trees, trees and more trees.  Redwoods, Evergreens, Oaks, and Manzanita.  Thick and dense and so many more than I recall.  It has been well over twenty years since I have traveled the north part of Hwy 101.  

So I drove past the College of the Redwoods and the whole Humboldt area.  The smells of the trees were wonderful and added to the whole experience.  This is Virginia's old stomping grounds and she visits here as often as possible.  I can certainly see why.  And then, of course, one is on the edge of the ocean again and loving it.  The only difficulty with driving this amazing Hwy is that I was unable to capture any pictures of the trees as I drove.  

There were so many shades of green with all the varieties and then there were all these flowers.  Some looked as though they were a cross between snapdragons and sweet peas.  They were mostly pink.  Then there were low growing orange pin cushion type flowers, taller white daisy's, tall little purple flowers and yellow ones and taller still orange ones.  There were also some white ones that gave the impression of a carpet.  I felt very welcomed.

There were a few places while driving through the shaded tree areas that had interesting little secret places inviting me to stop and play.  Unfortunately I was uncertain how far my destination was and how long it would take me to get there.  It was a good thing I kept to the task as I ended  up driving a lot longer than desired.  I am here safe and sound!

This RV park is right on the river.  The robins are singing in the trees and it is clear and sunny with a slight breeze.  A stronger wind came up around 4 pm and then left around 7:30 pm.  It got down into the low 50's during the night and it was delightful sleeping weather.  




The flowers here are beautiful.  Especially the hydrangeas.  Huge and a variety of colors.  The other flowers are just as beautiful.  Lots of variety of plants and colors.  Some of the flowers that were in bloom over a month ago in the valley are just beginning to bloom here.  The blackberry bushes still have blossoms on them and only a few berries that are anything but close to being ripe enough to eat.

This place feels good and everyone is friendly.  All of the sites are on green grass and a very nice distance from ones neighbors.  I am in an end space, so only one neighbor.  The restroom, showers and laundry facilities are super clean.

So I finally have WiFi now.  It took a bit but finally connected.  My cell service is anything but steady.  I can almost see the signal float in and out of where I am.  The wind blows and whoosh the signal goes along with it.  

Most of these people will leave on Sunday and if there is availability, I will extend my stay.  Since I failed to do any grocery shopping on the way, that will be the only reason to move me on.  This might be a good thing.  I easily can get lost in the forest, or wherever I am.  Distracted would probably be a better word.

As I drove into Eureka I saw this very large white bird.  Since it was alone I suspected it was an egret.  Further along I saw several egrets.  It was so nice to see them again.  Gulls alone, were simply not cutting it for me.  Variety is good.

The beach is about a two mile walk from here, so as soon as I am able to publish this blog, I am on my way.  Apparently I will pass along a native american sacred site.  Looking forward to this.  And then on to the beach where I hear there is an abundance of driftwood.  Just what a collector like me needs.  I'll see what speaks to me.

Published Monday, July 8th







 "We will be known forever
by the tracks we leave."
 - Native American Proverb


Enjoy your tracks!


No comments:

Post a Comment