Thursday, July 4, 2013

- WESTPORT 4 -



Wednesday, July 3rd



This is a fairly busy little campground with campers moving in and out for a night or two. It seems they no sooner get hooked up and settled for the night and then they are gone the next morning or so. Some I get to talk with while others are more private. Rather difficult to be private in this campground.


The celebration has started. Last night there were several fireworks going off which sort of startled me at first. Then I could hear when it was coming and was better prepared. I found remnants on the beach this morning, along with two empty beer cans. The only garbage I came across. So I imagine tonight will be more and tomorrow will probably be insane. Hopefully some of them will be pretty to see and not simply noisy. The good news is all was quiet at 10 pm.



There were a few jelly fish on the beach this morning. They were about the size of a pancake only more oval in shape. If they were there yesterday, I failed to notice them. I am uncertain if they are a specific variety or babies. Where is my marine biologist when I need her? In England, of course. Hi Jen! Love you!!!


There were also millions of little sand critters flitting about all over the beach. The only way to stay clear of them running into you was to literally walk in the edge of the surf. I hate to think of how many I killed simply by walking along the beach. Sea kelp also appeared to be more extensive. Perhaps this is why the population of sand critters was explosive. It felt very strange to have them hitting your feet and legs as one strode through them. It was almost gross except it was also kind of funny.


I also discovered two tiny shells (china hats, as some call them) while walking. These are white and lighter colored than the ones that can be found on the central coast. And smaller.



This is a small beach in comparison to the central coast, which may also be the reason for the lack of shore birds. I have only seen a few gulls. Definitely different than the throngs of gulls at Morro Bay and the variety of shore birds that grace the beaches there. I am on the lookout for pelicans. None so far.


I keep forgetting to wear my hat in the mornings. Hence, the raccoon eye thing is happening again. (Actually the reverse raccoon eye thing, as my son reminded me!) When I start out in the morning the sun is still on the other side of the coastal range. As I return the sun has risen and lights up the waves and rocks it touches. Thus my face as well. I love watching as the sun rises each morning.



This is really a great place for children. They can do as they please and are safe in the area. Most of them are very respectful of others while they ride their bikes and such. Occasionally one hears someones mom call out for one thing or another. This morning around 6:30 am as I was walking to the beach, this young one was playing with his motorized remote car and another camper across the way told him it was too early to play with it and to go back to bed. Made me chuckle. Otherwise, fairly quiet.


There have been thin clouds off and on yesterday and this morning and the air is very still. Since I am without cell service and only have one hour of wi-fi each day, (needed for the blog) it is difficult to know what is going on elsewhere. So, hopefully things are cooling down in the valley and the fires in Arizona cease to take any additional victims. Prayers to all those affected.







Today is the 20th wedding anniversary of Bruce and Sharon. Congratulations and may the two of you keep going strong. Hope to see you later this year!



If one teaching is
grasped and known,
all of my teachings
will be in the palm of your hand.
What is this one teaching?
It is altruism.
    - Buddha


Enjoy your teachings!

No comments:

Post a Comment